Sinđelić Theatre, one of the oldest Serbian theatres, was founded on March 11th, 1887. Milorad Petrović, a teacher in Sićevo, a military official Đoka Protić and Stevan Nikšić Lala were among the founders. Mihailo Dimić was the manager. The first production Serbian Hajduks /Serbian Guerrilla Fighters/ by Jovan Sterija Popović, was performed on March 11th, 1887 in the hall of the tavern “Europe”.
After the break in 1890, the Theatre continued its work on January 26th, 1891 with the performance of a musical choir adaptation and one-act play A Cup of Tea by a French writer V. Droste. As early as 1892 Sinđelić Theatre was closed again, and on July 24th, 1893 it was reopened with the production Love Can Do Anything (a funny four-act play, a German-Yugoslav adaptation of Shakespeare’s comedy The Taming of the Shrew).
The same year, when Aleksandar Milojević, an actor and a director, became the manager, ended the first stage of this theatre’s operation, the period of national, folklore and mythicized heroics. The time of modernization and transformation lasted until 1900. With great actors, such as Dobrica Milutinović, Olga Ilić, Bogoboj Rucović, Sofija Haritonović and Ilija Stanojević Čiča, „Sinđelić“ became a branch of the Royal Serbian National Theatre in Belgrade under the protection of Queen Draga. Between 1900 and 1905, the theatre operated as a travelling theatre.
The repertoire included plays such as The White Horse Inn, The Courier of Lyon, The Eleventh Commandment, The Bohemian Life, Koštana, The Upstart, Mamzelle Nitouche, Đurađ Branković, Mr. Chief, The Two Orphans and others.
The Law on the National Theatre in Belgrade (1911) and the Regulation on the Travelling Companies (1912) established five travelling theatres bearing the names of Serbian playwrights and actors. „Sinđelić“ became a travelling theatre for the southeast region based in Niš and changed its name to Privileged Travelling Theatre „Trifković“.
The management of the theatre was entrusted to Sima Bunić. „Trifković“ operated until July 1914 when it changed its name to “Sinđelić” again and the manager (for the second time) was Aleksandar Milojević until October 18th, 1915 when the actors went to war and exile. The theatre reopened at the end of 1918. The repertoire included plays such as The Hoax, Đido, Girl’s Curse, Zona Zamfirova, Ivko’s Feast, Koštana, Old Corporal and others. On August 23rd „Sinđelić“ merged with “Gundulić” theatre company from Zaječar and grew into Niš Privileged Theatre or Privileged City Theatre and the manager was Ljubomir Rajičić Čvrga.
Until 1921 the productions were performed in the Russian Tzar Inn. The theatre was closed due to financial problems in 1929. As of 1930, the members of the ensemble performed in „Morava Banovina Theatre“.