The building of the National Theatre at Sinđelić Square was built in 1939 for the Theatre of Morava Banovina. The initiative for the construction of a new theatre building came from Marko Novaković, the Ban of Morava Banovina at the time. The project, completed on the 50th anniversary of Sinđelić Theatre was constructed Vsevolod Tatarinov, an architect from Niš of Russian origin. The foundation stone was laid on 27th of June 1937, and the theatre was opened on 1st of January, 1939 with the play The Building of Ravanica by Milorad Šapčanin.
The building is impressive and measures 54 x 34 m, designed in a modern style. The main entrance with a semicircular staircase and a covered landing, under the upstairs balcony, and held by four pillars, is oriented towards the ceremonial plateau at the expansion of the square towards Vožd Karađorđe St. Side and technical entrance are on the east and west side of the building. From the back of the theatre, there is a wide ramp for bringing in the theatre scenery.
The theater has an amphitheater hall with 390 seats in the stalls, a balcony with 156 seats and four boxes with six seats at the level of the stage (two on the left, two on the right) and two on the first floor, two central foyers on the ground floor and upstairs with the hall and wardrobes. In front of a large, mobile stage, measuring 14 x 10 m, with a tower ramp for lifting the scenes, installed according to the technological project of the engineer Velja Jovanović, the technical manager of the National Theater in Belgrade, there is a recess for the orchestra, and another stage (technical) behind it, behind which there is a hall for scenery with a direct exit towards the ramp.
The additions to the National Theatre Building were constructed in 1946 in accordance with the project by Aleksandar Medvedev, an architect from Niš of Russian origin. Above the existing wardrobes on the ground floor, on both lateral sides of the theatre, a floor with rooms where costumes are stored was added. Above the back stage space there is a rehearsal room, a club, a reading room and painting workshop. The building addition from 1946 was carried out in accordance with the basic project. Later adaptations (2007) included only interior and technological improvements.